Banana Nut Muffins
Written by: Nadeen Risi, MS, RDN, LDN
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
4 bananas, mashed with a fork (the riper, the better)
½ cup peanut butter (used Justin’s peanut butter)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup coconut flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
Coconut flakes, walnuts, or banana slices for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with cups.
- In a large bowl, add bananas, eggs, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla. Blend to combine – a hand mixer is easiest, but you can mix it manually as well.
- Add in the coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend into the wet mixture until well incorporated. Distribute the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling each about two-thirds of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Add favorite toppings such as walnuts, coconut flakes, or banana slices. Serve warm.
Serving Size: 1 muffin (without topping)
Calories: 132, Fat: 8g, Protein: 4.5g, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 4g, Sodium: 66mg
Nutrition Tip: These wonderful gluten free muffins are a great choice to include with breakfast but also as a snack between meals. They provide some natural sweetness from the bananas and flavor from the coconut flour. They can be stored in the refrigerator in a resealable bag for up to 2 weeks.
Adapted from: http://www.paleogrubs.com/banana-nut-muffins-recipe/